All join in
Many of us remember being read to, by a parent, grandparent, sibling or teacher. Those moments of shared imagining and warmth. Reading aloud with a child, sharing a book together is powerful, it is joyful, and it has a deep and lasting effect. When we read to children in our classes, we are saying that reading matters to us, that we value books and want to make time for them in the busy school day. We also know that reading aloud is fun, that children love to hear stories, join in with well-loved phrases, pretend to be characters from books in their play. Reading aloud gives that to all our children.
Many children are read to at home as well, they have books to delve into and access to libraries and adults ready to snuggle and read together.
But not all our children have parents who can read to them. But we can. Every day.
It is something we can change. We can help parents access books, chat about books, and feel confident about it. We can put books that are meaningful into the hands of children to share with their parents and carers. We can grow a generation of readers.
We’d like you to become part of a countrywide community of readers. Of teachers, parents and carers who make time to read; who are curious and chatty about books and life; who connect to children through their interests and help them find books that are mirrors of their world and are windows into the larger world, the not yet known.
Little Wandle schools love reading, we know you have already put reading at the heart of what you do; we’d like to grow our love of reading as a community even more so that everybody reads!
This year we will invite you to:
- Make time to read aloud every day in every year group in your school.
- Support your parents and carers in snuggling up with their children to instil a love of reading as a family.
- Grow your knowledge of children’s literature so you can recommend the best books to entice children to become readers for life.
- Discover and share your Reading for Pleasure practice so we can learn from each other.
- Explore the research that shows the impact and benefits of reading aloud to children.
We know reading matters. Join us to help your children love reading and become readers for life.